#BlogElul 17: Awaken - Waking Up Or Awakening?


In Judaism, we recite the following prayer upon waking up:

Modeh (modah) ani lifanekha melekh ai v'kayam sheheezarta bi nishmahti b'emlah, rabah emunatekha
I give thanks to You, O God, eternal and living ruler, who in mercy has returned my soul to me; great is your faithfulness.

Yet to awaken is more than waking up.  I think that to awaken is to gain a spiritual awareness, to have our eyes symbolically opened to all that is around us. 

We awaken to knowledge. 

We awaken to understanding.  

For me, awakening conjures images of heightened senses and an appreciation for the beauty that is life. 

Baruch Atah Adonai, Eloheinu melech ha’olam, m’shaneh habriyot Blessed are You, Adonai our God, ruler of the universe, who makes creatures different.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...