Autism, Teens and Torah - Just Another Shabbat



Autism, Teens and Torah; Removing the Stumbling Block

One recent Shabbat, on the anniversary of his bar mitzvah, a young man with Autism chanted Torah at our erev Shabbat service. I've been thinking about it since, and was genuinely moved by the whole experience.  

I have known this nearly seventeen-year-old young man since he was in Kindergarten, and I am proud to have had a significant role in his Jewish education for so many years. And yet I find myself struggling to put what I felt on this recent Shabbat into words. 

It was wonderful that he walked to the bimah with poise and pride, but I expected that. It was impressive to hear him chant smoothly and clearly, but I expected that. It was awesome that he allowed himself to be hugged by everyone on the bimah when he finished, but I have come to expect that, too. 

So what made this so remarkable?  

What made this Shabbat so remarkable was the very fact that it was just another Shabbat, with another one of our teens chanting Torah on the anniversary of their b'nei mitzvah. And no one said, "Wow, I can't believe he did that," or "how wonderful" in that mildly patronizing tone. It was simply yasher koach (job well done), the same thing we say to anyone who beautifully chants Torah.

And yet I will acknowledge that there was one moment in the evening that was truly unique. After services had ended, I wanted to share what a wonderful job he had done - but I couldn't get past the ridiculously long line of congregants all waiting to do the very same thing!  

This is the beauty of inclusion. 


Be sure you never miss a post from Removing the Stumbling Block:

1 comment:

  1. That was wonderful! Reminds me of a recent Bat Mitzvah at our shul:
    http://matir-asurim.blogspot.com/2013/03/special-needs-bat-mitzvah.html

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Do not publish, curate, sell, post, or distribute all or any part of this blog's content without express permission of the author. You are invited, however, to share links to posts on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites. If you are interested in republishing any Removing the Stumbling Block content on your own blog, in a newsletter, or if you wish to use any content in another educational way, please contact me. I am also available to write unique content for your specific network.