The main reason for this post is to announce that I have been nominated by blogger Zachary Fenell for a Sunshine Award! A Sunshine Award is an opportunity for readers to learn more about the nominated blogger (that’s me!) and provides an opportunity to highlight fellow bloggers who he/she feels make a significant contribution to the blogging community.
Here are the rules (as listed on Zachary’s blog):
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger (Thanks again, Zachary!).
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
- My favorite color is green.
- I took Spanish in high school. I was also a certified lifeguard & water safety instructor. I combined both and taught a swim class at my local YMCA to children who spoke English as a second language.
- My younger brother swam in the Olympics twice (2000, 2004), medaling each time. In 2000 I became his “press manager” as I was too pregnant
- Believe it or not, I do not like being the center of attention. I’m not an introvert, but I’m also not a “hey look at me and all the awesome stuff I can do” kind of person either. Self-promotion is hard. Writing 11 random facts about myself is hard.
- My husband taught me that you have to eat sushi three times before you can decide you hate it (and seriously, why would you do that??) I fully believe his theory. First try is, “OMG, I’m eating raw fish”. Second try gets you over the texture. Third try is when you can say, “ooh…yum; I like this one!
- I am not a huge television watcher, but my favorite shows are Big Bang Theory and Survivor.
- I love to people watch.
- I love to cook. I hate to bake, but I love to cook.
- I had to be convinced to start this blog. It never occurred to me that people would be interested in my experiences and insights. I am humbled to learn that I was wrong.
- I’ve always wished that I had learned how to play an instrument, specifically the piano.
- Guilty pleasure: I could watch Chopped on the Food Network over & over & over….
1. What’s the most memorable birthday card you ever received? The most memorable was when I got the exact same card from my husband two years in a row, and he had no idea it was a repeat! (Sorry, honey.)
2. How often do you vote (every election, only Presidential elections, not at all)? No need to share your party affiliation! My voting patterns are pretty inconsistent.
3. Fill in the blank: Butter is to bread as jeans & a sweatshirt are to me. (They’re a comfortable go-to, but not the only option one could choose.)
4. What was the best concert you’ve ever been to? Lady Antebellum; when I was also surprised with a Meet & Greet and time with the band after the show in their VIP room.
5. Forget whether the glass is half full or half empty. What is in the glass? Water…or a martini. Depends on the day. ;-)
6. How does country music make you feel? Country music immediately makes me think of a close friend who used to work for Country Music Television and reminds me of a great trip to visit him in Nashville.
7. What is your go-to spot for a fun night out? A sushi restaurant for dinner.
8. What characteristic makes your very best friends stand out from your other friends? Trustworthiness, loyalty, good listener.
9. Name the last great book you read. I love to read, and I tackled a lot of books this summer, but two stand out: Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper and Relational Judaism by Ron Wolfson.
10. Finish this sentence: When I hear someone reference Wikipedia I don’t really have much of a reaction, to be honest.
Here are the 11 blogs (in no particular order) that I believe deserve the Sunshine Award:
- Eliminating the Box
- Off the REKord
- JanetheWriter Writes
- Coffee Shop Rabbi
- Handicap This!
- The Mobility Resource
- The Inclusive Church
- Surprising Treasures
The first nine blogs focus on disabilities, inclusion, Judaism or some combination of all three. The last two are faith-based, with messages of including those with disabilities; and while I may not always agree with all of the theology shared, I admire the way in which they share their positive messages.
11 Questions to Nominated Bloggers:
- If you could cast yourself in any reality TV show, which would it be and why?
- Crunchy or smooth peanut butter?
- Favorite place to vacation?
- What animal most describes your personality?
- Favorite ice cream flavor?
- Cookie or cake?
- Describe your ideal day.
- What is your favorite season?
- What is your favorite thing about blogging?
- How do you relax?
- What did you have for breakfast?