Dare to Fulfill Your Obligations to Yourself



I’m a “finish what you start” kind of person. When I set a goal for myself, I see it through. But I am also realistic, and the goals I set for myself are typically appropriate and manageable, with just enough “reach” to push myself a little further.

#BlogElul is more ambitious than that. I am not a daily blogger. While I genuinely appreciate this opportunity to tune in and become more mindful as I prepare for the holy days ahead; if I am really honest with myself, completing #BlogElul fully is a bit of a personal dare. I feel a sense of obligation to myself, and that, in and of itself, might just be the point.

Honoring an Obligation to Yourself, Removing the Stumbling Block, Lisa Friedman


Like many, I spend much of my time honoring my obligations to other people. There are parents and caregivers who give so much of themselves to others that they lose sight of their own needs. There is something really special about honoring a significant obligation to myself. It’s freeing, in some ways. Certainly challenging in others. And absolutely worthwhile.

So I will see #BlogElul through to the end; and with it will come both pride in accomplishment and a deep sigh of relief as I greet the new year with a full heart and an open mind to the possibilities that lie ahead.


Don't miss a post from Removing the Stumbling Block:

#BlogElul 2014


This post is a part of the month-long series #BlogElul. The Jewish month of Elul, which precedes the High Holy Days, is traditionally a time of renewal and reflection. We look to begin the year with a clean slate, starting anew, refreshed. All month, along with others, I'll be blogging a thought or two for each day to help with the month of preparation... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Do not publish, curate, sell, post, or distribute all or any part of this blog's content without express permission of the author. You are invited, however, to share links to posts on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites. If you are interested in republishing any Removing the Stumbling Block content on your own blog, in a newsletter, or if you wish to use any content in another educational way, please contact me. I am also available to write unique content for your specific network.