A Blog Hop About Blog Writing!



Last week I was invited to participate in a blog hop by Galit of Matir Asurim. She writes an insightful blog focusing on the intersection of Judaism, Jewish teaching, and adoption. Even more exciting, she is endeavoring to start a coffee shop fully staffed by individuals with disabilities as a social enterprise to create inclusion (http://thepowercafe.com). I am deeply flattered that she wanted to highlight my blog.

The rules are simple: I answer the four questions, introduce three bloggers, and next week they will (hopefully) do the same. I will also link back to their posts.

  1. What am I writing or working on?
The opening of school is right around the corner, as is the start of the New Jewish Year. Currently I am preparing to participate in #BlogElul, an effort to tune in, reflect and prepare for the Jewish high holy days. I am also proud to share that I have taken a part-time role as the Manager of Social Media and Alumni Networks for Matan, part of which includes blog oversight. Hope you might visit me there.

  1. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
There are some terrific blogs about inclusion, blogs about Jewish education and a few significant blogs that focus on inclusion in the Jewish world. I share thoughts and experiences that are the intersection of all three. I have found many blogs written by parents, but my unique perspective as a professional with experience in both secular and Jewish education adds a unique voice.

  1. Why do I write what I write?
Above all else, I believe deeply in the notion that each one of us is created b’tzelem elohim (in the image of God). I write to help others view the world through this lens. I hope that I inspire others and give them the tools to bring change to their own organizations and communities.

  1. How does my writing process work?
I write when I am moved to write. I try to post once every ten days to two weeks, but don’t find myself limited by or beholden to a specific posting schedule. Additionally, I spearheaded the #JDAMblogs initiative (modeled after #BlogElul) where each year, in honor of Jewish Disability Awareness Month (JDAM occurs every February), I share a daily post. Maybe this year you will join me!

And now here are, in no particular order, the bloggers I’d like to recognize. I hope that they will continue the hop.

The first is Rebecca Schorr, author of the blog This Messy Life. A Reform rabbi, Rebecca uses her space to share thoughts on life, Judasim and raising a family that includes a son with Autism. I admire her honest writing style. From her bio: This former career-driven mother of three became a reluctant stay-at-home-mom when her autistic son and his two adorable sidekicks needed more from her. The transformation from a religious community leader to what her kids call a “house-mother” has been nothing short of life-altering.  

The second is Rabbi Ruth Adar, also known as The Coffee Shop Rabbi. My connection to Ruth is mainly on Twitter and I appreciate her down-to-earth writing that shares Judaism and guidance for those wishing to learn more about living a meaningful Jewish life. From her website: I am not a replacement for a synagogue membership. But not everyone is at a place in their life where synagogue membership makes sense or is even possible. Perhaps you aren’t Jewish, but you have some questions about Judaism. Perhaps you are Jew-ish, you have relatives who are or were Jewish, but you aren’t sure of your status and are nervous about approaching a synagogue. Perhaps you are a Jew who has belonged to a synagogue in the past, but that didn’t work out. Whatever your story, I am happy to meet with you, to talk with you, study with you. People of all backgrounds, races, orientations, and genders are welcome.

Finally, I’d like to introduce blogger Yair Robinson. Also a Reform rabbi (yes, I am now seeing the trend…) I got to know Yair better this summer when we were on faculty together at URJ Camp Harlam. He describes his blog, A Good Question! as a place to explore questions about Torah, Jewish tradition and how we interact with the world meaningfully. I love his mix of Torah, Jewish education and personal experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Do not publish, curate, sell, post, or distribute all or any part of this blog's content without express permission of the author. You are invited, however, to share links to posts on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites. If you are interested in republishing any Removing the Stumbling Block content on your own blog, in a newsletter, or if you wish to use any content in another educational way, please contact me. I am also available to write unique content for your specific network.